Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Recipe Wednesday- Stuffed Squash

I have gotten a good response from the other recipes that I have posted on here... so I think I am going to start "Recipe Wednesday." I know I will not be able to post a recipe every Wednesday (I really don't cook that much lately), but I am setting a goal of two recipes per month. Hope you enjoy!

I got this weeks re
cipe out of Tennessee Home & Farm Magazine and tried it a couple of nights ago when we had some friends over. We liked it so much I will be making it again soon.

Stuffed Squash


Ingredients:

6 medium yellow squash
½ cup green bell pepper, diced
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped and seeded
½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs

4 slices bacon, fried until crisp and crumbled Pinch seasoned salt
2/3 teaspoon Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
Butter (for sautéing)

Procedure:

In large pot, cover squash with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash are tender but firm, about 8 minutes. Drain squash and cool slightly. Trim stems and cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove pulp, then chop it into small pieces. Reserve squash shells.
Sauté bell pepper and onion in butter until soft. Then, sauté squash pulp (about 1 cup) in separate pan until soft. Combine pulp with onions, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, breadcrumbs, bacon and seasoned salt. Place hollowed squash shells in a baking dish, and sprinkle the inside of each with Kosher salt and pepper.
Spoon squash mixture into each shell. Top with additional breadcrumbs and drizzle top with melted butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until top is golden.

** I left out the bell peppers because we don't care for them. Also, to make it more healthy (south beach friendly) I use crushed TLC crackers with Italian seasoning instead of the bread crumbs.



No comments:

 
Made by Lena